There is a little boy in Foxboro, MA named Danny Nickerson with cancer of an inoperable brain tumor! Though his simple birthday wish is to get a box of birthday cards for his birthday (which is today, July 25th)! His story has gone viral and there are now thousands and thousands of people from all over the globe sending in birthday cards and packages for him! :)
Happy 6th Birthday, Danny!!!!!! :)
I live in the same state and surprisingly hadn't heard of this story until just Wednesday of this week! A woman I know from high school that lives in Nevada shared the link on her Facebook page and said she had mailed in a card to him too. Then after reading the article, I was immediately moved and very excited to be a part of this birthday movement!
I made a handmade 'Super Mario' style card and put together a little package of various coloring pages of LEGO and Super Mario theme, erasable colored pencils and some Super Mario stickers! :)
In a world with so much craziness, it felt great to help out the wish of a special little boy like Danny! Hope he enjoys every bit of his birthday and gets to enjoy my contribution to the happiness as well! :)
Here is the news article:
http://www.wkrn.com/story/26061204/5-year-old-battling-cancer-only-wants-cards-for-birthday
The Facebook page his mother created also describes more details about his story with many photos showing the truck loads of cards and packages he's already received: :)
https://www.facebook.com/dannyswarriors
Here are some photos I took of what I put together. (I didn't get to use my actual camera, just my cell phone, so I apologize if the quality isn't as great. Though hope you get the idea....)
1. There are probably about 10 coloring pages here of both LEGO and Super Mario theme. :) When I saw the Happy Birthday Super Mario page from the website I found them from, http://www.kids-n-fun.com/Coloringpages, I thought it was only fitting to include it! :) (Cool site too...;) ) The erasable colored pencils I thought were cool too and had to get the stickers when I saw them! I0 didn't take a photo of it, but I paper clipped the colored pages together and put them inside a slider zipper style expanding folder to keep the pages more organized. :)
2. This is the front of the card! :) I was excited to use my Cricut machine for this special card! :)
* 5x7 cardstock pre-folded card, Recollections value pack.
*Background Patterned paper from Rhonna Farrer Autumn Leaves paper pad
*The 'Happy Birthday' phrase and turtle image came from the 'Create a Critter' Cricut cartridge.
* The mushroom image is from the 'Best of 2010' Cricut Cartridge.
*The letters for Danny's name and the number 6 are stickers from my stash.
*The stars are foam stickers (which I drew eyes on to look more like the 'Super Mario' style.)
*The patterned paper for the turtle shell was from Studio G.
*The other cardstock pieces for the birthday phrase, turtle and mushroom images were from my scrapbook paper stash.
3. The next three photos are of the inside of the card (full inside of the card before I finished customizing it for Danny, close up of the left inside of the card, and the completed part of the right side of the card.)
**p.s. The heart and dotted star images on the right side of the card and birthday hat on the wrapped up package are 'camera edit stickers' to not show full info. when shared elsewhere online...
Inside card:
*The birthday sentiments are from "AmyR Stamps".
*I tried to draw the Super Mario flower by hand, from one of the Super Mario stickers I saw showing from the pack. ;)
*Gold reflective star stickers from my stash.
*Small mushroom image is from my "Fawn Lawn" stamp set that I colored in with markers.
*I tried to make the 'ornament foam sticker' into a balloon. ;)
*The brick patterned paper is from Studio G. Used my square punch on them and decorated them to look more like the blocks from the Super Mario videogame.
4. The package as all wrapped up and I mailed it out yesterday, Thursday, at noon time! :) *another camera edit sticker to cover my address...;)
Thanks for looking! It was fun to create and put together this gift for Danny and just wanted to share!
(Also, I must admit, I hope Danny and his family notice my label on the back of the card that has my blog address and get to see this post! :) )
Happy Friday all! xoxo
~Margo






No comments:
Post a Comment